Deborah Lanino remembers drawing and being interested in art as early as kindergarten. She holds a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts from Pratt Institute in NY, one of the top art schools in the country. She has also studied art and art history in Florence, Italy. This provided an opportunity for her to gain firsthand knowledge of a part of her own heritage and a unique link to the art world. Bernardino Lanino, a direct ancestor, was a successful Renaissance painter in Vercelli, Italy over 400 years ago.
After graduating from Pratt, Deborah worked at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, fine art galleries, and later as a computer graphics trainer and designer before becoming an illustrator. The volume of her work includes numerous fine art paintings, magazine and book covers, as well as posters for the theatre. She illustrated several children's picture books including, The Littlest Angel, Maria's Comet, and Nina’s Waltz. Her young adult books include Heidi, Wuthering Heights and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Deborah enjoys book signings and speaking to groups of children and adults about illustrating children's books. She covers the process from early thumbnail sketches to the final paintings.
Deborah is also an art educator with 15+ years experience in the design, development and instruction of innovative art classes, curricula and instructional methodologies. She holds a Masters degree in Instructional Leadership through Argosy University. Deborah currently teaches college students at the Art Institute of California-Hollywood.
Deborah has exhibited her paintings in the following galleries:
• The Huntington Library & Art Collection, San Marino, CA
• The Acorn Store, Santa Monica, CA
• The Montana Library, Santa Monica, CA
• Every Picture Tells a Story, Santa Monica, CA
• ADM Project Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
• The Society of Illustrators Los Angeles, CA
• The Beverly Hills Library, Hernando, FL
• Mitchell’s Books, Nantucket, MA
• The Atheneum, Nantucket, MA
• The Maria Mitchell Association, Nantucket, MA
• Puck Gallery, New York, NY
• Pratt Gallery, New York, NY
• Society of Illustrators, New York, NY
• Rubelle & Norman Schafler Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
• Picot Hall, Albany, NY •SACI Gallery, Florence, Italy
Deborah is available for teaching and school visits.
To purchase or commission art contact: